This was the hall in the original building - dating from the 1080's,
now a pleasant garden.
A beautiful Romanesque door arch leading between
the old hall and the chapel area
These are the original
toilets (reredorter). much restored, which served the residents for
over 900 years!
This is the back side, so to speak - the effluent was intended to
be washed away by the waters of the River Stour (directed by channels)
which passed nearby.
Men and women had a separate bench, but in the same room...
Toilets from inside
toilet system added to the original hole...